Sunday, May 11, 2008

Been stuck the last few weeks on the question of what it is to lead a good life. As anyone who knows me will tell you I am not religious or particularly spiritual however that doesn't mean I don't want the next 50 (hopefully) years to be all about me. I quite like Aristotle's idea that you can't judge if your life was well lived until your dead - that in a way life is a peformance on a stage that cannot be judged except as a whole.

Nonetheless that still leaves me wondering what I need to for my life to be viewed as one well spent. I don't know what the answer to that question is. I get the feeling that a big part of it is serving other people in some way. If that is the case I am a little stuck since what with work, gym, doing my hair and going out on the booze I have precious little time left to polish my £200 calfskin brogues let alone get my hands dirty assisting the dregs of society.

Therefore I hope that fulfilment, redemption and eudaimonia can therefore be achieved in another way, ideally one that doesn't distract me from the big issues (me, the girlfriend, drink) and means I can still have enough time left in the day to complete Call of Duty 4 on difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home